Saturday, May 2, 2015

Go over the ridge again: Tsuchiyu Pass

A day before yesterday Brompton and I departed Inawashiro heading to Tsuchiyu Onsen through the Tsuchiyu Pass at the elevation of 1240 meters. The route has about 50 kilo meter long and about 800 meter elevation to climb.


I heard that most of the hot springs being closed in the area during winter were going to open for the coming early-May holiday season. I wanted to visit some of them.

I started at Inawashiro Station early in the morning. On the way to Yokomuki Hot Spring, the first destination, I had a view of famous Mt. Bandai. It is often said that  Mt. Bandai represents Aizu people's love for their heartland.

I found a wild cherry tree in full bloom on the way.

Because it was early in the morning, Brompton and I had tall shadow silhouettes like this, seeing Mt. Bandai over there.

I went on to climb this mountain path to the peak. The road was still covered with snow in some part.

Arrived one of three lodges in Yokomuki Hot Spring which has a good history of about 200 years. The elevation is about 1180 meters here.

Continued to climb toward the highest part, 1240 meters in altitude,  of the way.

Brompton and I met not a few bikes coming down from the peak. A good weather and good views attract a lot of bike riders.

What a stunning view of Mt. Bandai.

Brompton and I was going through Tsuchiyu Pass with an elevation of 1240 meters.

On the way down the hill, I dropped by one of the famous wild hot spring, Shin-Noji Onsen. The hot spring had excellent quality and the atmosphere was so nice.

Then I restarted to move on. This is a part of Adatara Mountain Range.

A large cherry blossom tree at the elevation of 1000 meters.

Going down to the place of about 600 meters in its elevation.
 

This is the symbol. We can often see such an object as a symbol of prosperity in areas of such a historic hot spring. It is a part of the old ethnic religion still significantly believed in the local village and mountain community.

 The Kawakami Hot Spring Lodge in Tsuchiyu Hot Spring Village came in to my sight.

The lodge and sweeping cherry blossom welcomed Brompton and me.

Let's take a bath here at this big hot spring tub to wash off sweat and drink a bottle of mineral water.

[data]
route: from Inawashiro to Tsuchiyu Onsen via Tsuchiyu Pass
distance: 46.9km
max. difference in elevation: 792m
average % of inclination: total -0.1% ascent 4% descent 5.2%
gained elevation: ascent 788m descent 836m

No comments:

Post a Comment