Sunday, October 4, 2015

Kamikochi - You can watch the Best Autumn Tints Ever

Yesterday I went to the Karasawa Cirque Glacier near Kamikōchi to watch the best autumn tints in Japan. Karasawa is getting to be known as a place of wonderful autumn tints of blazing yellow and red backdropped by high mountains with their ridges and moraine.


[data]
distance (walk): 36.6 km
max. difference of an elevation: 831 meters
time: ascent 4 hours, descent 3 and half hours



In the dawn Yesterday , I arrived in Kamikōchi by bus. Kamikōchi, a sanctuary in the heart of the Japan Alps, is the place where mountain lovers must go. Karasawa, the destination, is 15 km away and requires to climb by more than 800 meters.

I did not bring my Brompton on that day. Why? It's because the trail from Kamikochi (kappabashi) to Karasawa is bike off-limit. However, I wanted a day-return trip as usual. The last outbound bus from Kamikochi departs 5 pm. It had better come back here by 15:15 in order to catch an earlier bus connecting to the last express train bound for Tokyo. Thus, I needed to run instead of walk in a part of the trail to reduce the time (not all the way). 

This is the famous Hodaka mountain range. I planed to go to the back of that mountains. There is Karasawa Cirque, a today's destination. 

I started to walk along Azusa River in dawn. Karasawa is one of the most upper streams of Azusa 
river so what I needed was just to walk along the river. I went on 12km of the trail via Myojin, Tokusawa, Yoko-o and then climb up to Karasawa.

I reached Yoko-o Lodge after 2 hours of run and walk. The relatively flat trail ends here. After crossing the bridge, a hard mountain path was awaiting ahead.

Here is the bridge in the mid between Karasawa and Yoko-o.

There is Hontani-Bashi, a suspension bridge.

The steep mountain trail started from the other side of the bridge.

After three hours, suddenly a panorama of the mountain valley appeared. What a beautiful view with autumn colors! The Karasawa Hütte is located to the end of the valley.

When I climbed up another hundred meters of elevation to reach the edge of the moraine, I looked back over my way to see this wonderful scenery.

I am reaching the Hütte.

I arrived at 9:40 am after 4-hour trekking. So tired. Let's have an early lunch.

I ordered beef curry rice and Oden which The Karasawa Hütte is famous for. You can even order a mug of draft beer thanks to daily transportation by helicopter.


The Karasawa Hütte has a panoramic space on the roof. There are tables and chairs for several dozens of people to enjoy lunch and drink, watching the following beautiful landscape.


The view from the roof is stunning!

Let's drink a bottle of water.

Autumn tint lasts very short in high mountains. Fortunately I was able to encounter the best autumn-colored mountains with blue sky in the Japan Alps.


Let's go to Karasawa Cirque to feel the variety of seasons in Japan if you have a chance to visit Kamikōchi.

Related article:
http://bromptonwharton.blogspot.jp/2014/04/kamikochi.html
http://www.kamikochi.or.jp/english/areamap/

No comments:

Post a Comment